Heron Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia

Thursday 10 July 2008

It's that time of year..

A year ago today, I wrote up the Big Event of the weekend - the opening of the Tour de France in London, stuck in some photos and a little video clip, and put it in a blog. Start as you mean to go on, eh?

I'd always been a bit snooty about blogging, mainly in reaction to the way it - like so many new Internet developments - was initially overhyped as the most unprecedented/amazing/sweeping-all-before-it thing (since the last thing and until the next thing, that is). I just couldn't see how it was, in essence, different from any other personal website.

In essence, it isn't: but a pre-set format does mean new users don't have to keep reinventing the wheel in presenting what they want to present, and know roughly how to understand what other people are presenting (and when you see what some people still do with self-designed websites, the benefits of an off-the-peg solution are obvious).

But, oh dear me, did I really say
It's the focus on someone's stream of consciousness I find strange. I don't think I work all that hard nowadays, but after working, commuting, eating, housework, reading books and keeping up with what's going on in the world, it's hard to find the time (and the temerity) to just witter on to the world at large. Organising your thoughts, on any basis other than 'and another thing', takes even longer. What do all these people do all day?

Well, I'm managing to find the time now, though it is hard to organise one's thoughts. Which is why I'm wittering on, I'm suppose. Now, what can I do now that all the same events are coming around again?

No comments:

Post a Comment